The process of applying for membership, membershipping, begins by contacting us at email@example.com or 1 (608) 238-3441. Feel free to ask questions or arrange a time to join us for dinner.
The typical membershipping process involves joining us for three dinners. The dinners can be spread out, but attending three within a month would be the most beneficial. Dinners are served Sunday-Thursday at 6:00pm with some exceptions. All dinners have a vegetarian option.
- Dinner 1: Grand tour of the house, including any available rooms. Meet house members and learn about co-ops, workjobs, costs, etc.
- Dinner 2: More time with members, meet other members who you didn’t meet at Dinner 1. Receive the membership application, request for references, and a request for a personal statement.
- Dinner 3: More time with members. Submit all application materials. All personal and housing references WILL be checked before the completed application is submitted to house members for review.
If you are not in the Madison, WI area, feel free to contact us and let the membership coordinator know you’re interested in membershipping. If possible, we will try to arrange a video or phone call in order for you to meet house members and get a virtual tour of the house.
If you decide to apply, you will receive a membership application, request for references, and a request for a personal statement. Unlike standard membershipping, current members of the house will review your application and respond with some informal questions. Once all application materials are submitted, the membership coordinator will contact your references. All personal and housing references WILL be checked before the completed application is submitted to house members for review.
Caged pets such as fish, hamsters, rabbits, etc do not need house approval to reside in the house. There is no fee for having a caged pet.
However, uncaged pets such as cats and dogs do need unanimous house approval in order to reside in the house. If you are membershipping and have uncaged pets, the house would hold a separate vote for the pet. There is no fee for having an uncaged pet, but the house would require proof of renter's insurance.
Membership applications must be unanimously approved. If there is any “no” vote, the applicant is denied membership. If the application is approved, then the applicant is offered house membership. Applicants will be contacted within two weeks of the membership coordinator receiving all application documents.
If you accept membership to the house, two charges must be paid to secure membership:
- Security Deposit: $356* (this deposit will be refunded when you move out if you have no outstanding financial business with Summit)
- Stock Fee: $75* (you may apply for a refund of this fee when you move out)
*Cost applicable to year 2022 and is subject to change for subsequent years.